Friday, June 8, 2018

Letter from a seaman in Palermo


From a letter written by an unnamed Leading Seaman of the Royal Italian Navy, of Sicilian origin and stationed in Sicily, to his girlfriend, July 1943:

“…with this state of affairs ends my existence, and with it all my hopes, work and goal of so many years of sacrifice. I want you to know that never did I breach my duty as a soldier, I fought till today and I am still alive by sheer miracle. Everyone abandoned us and you can imagine how much death, destruction and despair. We are at the mercy of fate, without any hope except for our life, which we barely hold on to. We fell back due to lack of means to fight, not for cowardice on our part. We fought with rifles alone against tanks, we got slaughtered and now we are here for the last defense of Palermo, and like everyone I am waiting, abandoned even by the Italian soldiers, since all is left for us is the defense of the land. I have the possibility of escaping on the motor barges, but what would be the point? I have received no news from mother since May 25 and I was unable to see her when I was in Messina. I along with another two guys from Messina will try the last card, if I will succeed I will see our dear city, otherwise I will die. I will try to cross the enemy lines heading for Messina, last bastion in Sicily, I say last bastion because as I am writing you, my Italian-German comrades are destroying depots and military works. I follow the fate of my land. Forgive me, may God help you and protect you. Think of me every now and then”.

This letter was censored by military censorship at the time. Recently published by historian Fabio De Ninno.

No comments:

Post a Comment